Thursday 2 July 2009

Danny La Rue, sadly passed earlier last month

I didn't write on the passing of another legend and I just wanted to say something about them.



Danny La Rue wanted to be remembered as a female impersonator and not a drag artist.

He was certainly more than a niche act and certainly in the UK there aren't many who don't know his name.

I never had the chance to see him on stage, a place I think he felt most at home and I only knew of him via his few television appearances in the 70s and 80s, although his career spanned many decades.



I found a film he did called Our Miss Fred not so long ago. He is a triumph playing a British soldier at the time of WWII in France who ends up having to dress and act like a woman in order to escape and bring important invasion news back to Britain. He is amazing, as both the soldier and his female impersonations, his costumes are stunning and he is a riot. If you have never seen the movie, go and get it and if you love british comedy you will love this, it is now one of my favorite comedy films.



Take a look at a clip of the movie and Danny on YouTube

Clip of Danny singing 'My Old Man's A Dustman' on the Good Old Days, via YouTube

I wish I had the chance to see him live on stage and sadly there is not that much of his career recorded as far as I know which is a major loss to the world.

If anyone knows of any other dvd's, etc please let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment