Thursday 2 July 2009

Dropping like flies!

The stars appear to be falling from the skies in the last few days with more and more deaths being reported all kicked off by the shock announcement of Michael Jacksons death the other day.



One of my favourite comedy actors has passed, Mollie Sugden, whom many of you will remember playing Mrs Slocombe, from the hit BBC sitcom Are You Being Served? based on the goings on at Grace Bros. department store. The show itself was based on the real life Simpsons department store in Piccadilly, now Waterstones bookshop. (Take a look in the real shop and see why the lifts were up a flight of stairs in the show!)



I also loved That's My Boy where she is a mother who has given up her child for adoption, only to find him again in later life but insists on calling him by his original name of Wayne, much to his dismay! As someone who was also adopted this was the first time I remember main stream television tackaling the subject and the fact that it was in a comedy series really helped me feel less unusual I remember.



Also was the series, Come Back Mrs Noah, where poor Molly is Mrs Noah a British housewife inspecting Britains latest space vehicle (there have been so many LOL) in 2050 and is accidentally blasted into space. That show wasn't a hit but I do remember enjoying it once you got past the first episode. I can still see her shooting around the spacecraft in zero G on a jet of perfume, LOL



So many of my memories of Molly are filled with laughter that her passing is particularly sad.

As someone on the BBC website said today, who will look after Mrs Slocombe's pussy now?

No comments:

Post a Comment